Why getting better in a golf lesson has several sides
We divide a golf lesson into different sections: Q&A, testing and data collection, discussions on corrections, improvements, transfer to course and skill aquisition. A golfer can mechanically not know or not be able to play a pitch shot. Then he has to learn how to play a pitch shot, how to move the club, how to use the body to control de shot and make it consistent.
Once a golfer knows how to do it, we have to change the goals of the lessons. It’s about getting better, about gaining control over impact, flight height, distance control or spin. Not to forget tactical intelligence.
When assessing a player, we obviously like to see certain things within the technique, but it’s not a must. If the player has the skills to play the shots from different lies and under stress, then why change something? Just because it is not text book?
That’s why in lessons we started to implement testing instead of just watching a swing. Testing requires a golfer to deliver a result under certain conditions. That involves decision making and action.
Testing can’t just be used on individual abilities, like distance control. It has to come with the ability to plan a shot over a bunker and deliver clean impact, distance and directional control as much as the required amount of spin for the shot.
Once we get into skill development or creating abilities, we change our path.
To become more skilful, we use manipulated exercises. That means, we create difficult situations or setup stations to help with difficulty, so that the golfer finds himself in ever changing environments in which he has to learn and change the movement to adapt to the situation.
We want desirable difficulties in practice. We should never relate performance in practice with how much we have learned.
So your golf swing doesn’t have to become a construction site if you go for golf lessons. Not at all.
Related link: find out how our philosophy influences our work
On the other hand, when we have doubts, we can still rely on the use of modern technology to analyse in more details and make more informed decisions.
Related link: see what technology we are using in our lessons
Play golf at Capdepera Golf, Majorca
- (Deutsch) Gedanken zur Didaktik in unserem Golfunterricht
- Ryder Cup 2018 European Team Golf Ball – Callaway Chromesoft Truvis
- Why struggle is important in the learning process of golf
- Golf-Fitness during your holidays in Majorca
- A different view on why you hit bad golf shots with your golfswing
- Practice Golf – difference between learning and playing
- How to practice in golf – Training is acquisition and practice is applying
- What else can you explore during your holidays in the north east of Majorca
- Clubfitting and repair in our golf school in Majorca
- (Deutsch) Wie einen Golfschwung von der Driving-Range auf den Golfplatz transferieren
- Why getting better in a golf lesson has several sides
- The beaches of the Balearic Islands
- The best quotes of Tiger Woods
- Our practice facilites
- What can you expect from us
- Use of modern technology in golf lessons
- The Rules of Golf – Provisional Ball
- Hiking trails, walking and biking to see the best of Mallorcas north-east